Alaska Trail Guides provides half-day, full-day, and multi-day/multi-sport itineraries. Driver-guides and biking guides work together to create experiences for our guests for all our tours. Whether you are biking with clients or providing support in the vehicle, you will be integral in crafting the guest’s experience. Guides organize and execute tours catering to all guests according to Alaska Trail Guides’ standards and procedures. Using company transportation assets (10-15 passenger van + trailer), co-guides move guests and equipment professionally, friendly, and timely. Co-guides outfit clients with bikes and helmets, ensuring proper fit before the ride.
The part-time position is available for the Summer 2021 season.
Part-time schedule is Monday-Friday. Hours per week range from 20-35.
Key Responsibilities and duties:
– Demonstrate sound judgment and decision-making skills (risk management)
– Work well in a team with their co-guides with set up, pack up, and actively assist all guests each day. Deliver briefings and generally interact professionally and pleasantly with guests at all times.
– Flexibility to lead different trips either as a bike guide or driver-guide, according to the business’s operational needs.
– Learn client expectations and strive to meet them
– Relate local knowledge including natural, geological, and glacial history
– Assess and maintain all equipment, performing repairs on equipment or notifying management promptly if equipment requires additional servicing beyond daily maintenance
– Leave No Trace Ethics and attitude of environmental stewardship
Minimum Required Qualifications:
– Must be 23 years of age or older
– Experience towing a trailer: 1+ years
No previous guiding experience is required, but applicants should be enjoy biking
– Outstanding customer service, communication skills, and strong organizational skills
– FA & CPR
– Clean driving record for the past three years
Knowledge, Skill and Abilities Required
– Able to work independently and lead fun, varied, safe, and informative bike rides
– Ability to work well within a team and maintain effective working relationships
– Punctual, reliable, able to give and receive constructive feedback
– Knowledge of Alaska and Anchorage’s natural and human history, geography, and standard attractions.
– Excellent guest/customer service skills, including speaking with guests, assisting them in solving their problems in a positive way
– Ability to manage multiple guest’s demands and stay focused on service and safety
– Strong Physical Fitness: Guides split their time between biking and van support; however, they must be physically fit to ride every day if needed. In addition to cycling, we expect all guides to be able to lift 30 lbs comfortably.