Letter Writing Tips
- Personalize your letter and avoid the use of letter templates – write from the heart.
- Maintain a respectful tone throughout your communication – never use your letter to threaten.
- Identify yourself as a member of the Travel, Tourism and/or Hospitality Industry.
- State how you and your family are impacted by a healthy visitor industry. Examples include your direct wages, employment opportunities for
your family, prosperity for your community including offsets to property taxes.
- If you own or manage a business, share your outlook for your business including changes in employment, wages and benefits dependent on the
prosperity of the visitor economy.
- State your support for a broad based, statewide tourism marketing program that creates a positive image and heightened awareness of our destination.
- Remember, Alaska competes in the global marketplace against other long-haul destinations (Hawaii, New Zealand, Argentina, Norway, etc.) Point
out that funding should be appropriated from existing taxes paid by the industry. Use the “Reinvest in Alaska Tourism” flier to share these messages!
- Keep your communication open. Ask their opinion. Ask for their support. Ask to be added to their district newsletter. Sign up to be a friend
of theirs on Facebook, Twitter, etc. Anything you can to do maintain contact will pay dividends down the road.