Unalaska Visitor Bureau Seeks Executive Director
The UVB executive director is responsible for performing or overseeing the promotion of Unalaska as a unique Alaska visitor destination; developing and distributing information about the destination and visitor services to enhance the visitor experience; coordination with cruise ship personnel to provide needed services while in port; and working with the municipality and local organizations to develop tourism infrastructure and services that make Unalaska/Dutch Harbor attractive to both visitors and residents.
The position requires a broad range of skills including budget development and management, employee management and development, destination marketing to include development of collateral materials (visitor guide/map, etc.) and digital communication (website, social media, email), must have competent computer skills with commonly used software, and the ability to communicate effectively (verbally and in writing) with various stakeholders and customers. Experience with non-profit management and serving with a board of directors is desired.
Salary and benefits include salary range of $60,000 – $70,000 DOE. Benefits flexible.
Contact 907-581-2612 or email [email protected] to receive a copy of the full job description. A one-page cover letter with resume is required to be considered for position. Qualified candidates will receive an invitation to interview. Position open until filled.
The Executive Director is responsible for the management and administration of daily office operations, managing and administering finances, including the City of Unalaska grant. The UVB is the main point of contact for visitor inquiries and seeks to maximize the visitor experience with current destination information that inspires longer stays and fully utilizes local services. The executive director manages or oversees cruise ship coordination and serves as the liaison with local and state agencies. Oversees all activities of the Bureau conducted in accordance with the UVB articles of incorporation, bylaws, and formal policies. This executive level position functions in an administrative capacity for the agency under the general direction of a Board of Directors.
· Creative, energetic, committed to excellence and attention to details
· Efficient with time management and self-management
· Ability to work in a fast-paced, visionary environment
· Effective problem-solver
· Excellent written and oral communication skills
· Customer service oriented
· Basic bookkeeping experience
· QuickBooks, Windows office, social media and Photoshop skills
· Motivated and able to work independently to meet organization objectives
· Maintains office operations during regular business hours and on other days when cruise ships, ferry, or other tour groups are in town. Ensures the prompt response to phone calls, emails, and additional correspondence in a timely fashion.
· Serve as the primary contact and resource for tourism related information for the City of Unalaska.
· Performs or oversees communication with cruise ship companies before, during, and after scheduled port calls. Initiate contact with cruise ship companies to confirm scheduled dockings and coordinate schedules and payments with requested entities.
· Provide effective leadership and direction while planning, directing, managing, and supervising all administrative activities and operations of the UVB.
· Develops, manages, and executes the annual budget and operating plan, all financial functions, City of Unalaska grant and other financial reports as needed.
· Manage or oversee basic finance tasks. Process payments and print checks for approval/signature according to current policy and procedures.
· Works with board to develop short and long-range plans, priorities, and marketing plan.
· Works with board to develop policies and procedures.
· Prepares work schedules, expedites workflow, and makes staffing decisions.
· Responsible for supervision, evaluations, hiring, staff development, and discipline.
· Participates in government political process, including City Council meetings or other functions relating to destination development and marketing.
· Prepares and/or presents studies, plans, reports, and position papers on matters of concern to the industry, and preparation of testimony for presentation to local officials and other governmental bodies through the Board of Directors. Serves as liaison with committees as directed by the board.
· Provide leadership and assistance with the ongoing development and long-range plan for tourism development in Unalaska and the surrounding Aleutian region.
· Represents Unalaska/Dutch Harbor at consumer or travel trade shows and marketing meetings related to the visitor industry.
· Prepares for regular or special board meetings, and supports committee work, as needed
· Develop or oversees design and productions of UVB publications and marketing tools.
· Ensures all media sites have current visitor information and promotes visitation with prospective travelers which includes, but not limited to: CVB website, Twitter, Facebook, Instagram.
· Plan and coordinate all UVB events.
· Ensures that all UVB brochure racks are maintained and filled twice a week during the summer and once a week during the winter
· Perform monthly or as needed inventory of UVB merchandise and ensure accurate accounting of goods sold.
· Maintain professional office appearance to promote welcoming environment to visitors and resident.
This job description encompasses the primary duties of the position, but it may change as needed and directed by the board of directors.
Listing Closing Date12 / 31 / 2023
Send a one-page cover letter and resume to [email protected]