Activities Guides are professional guides committed and focused on providing unparalleled customer service and have the skill and demeanor to facilitate a safe and fun experience for our guests. Guides will be rotated through different tours throughout the cruise ship season, so every week will be a new adventure! Guides will be cross trained in leading electric mountain bike tours, lake kayaking, zodiac, sea cycling and hiking tours, as well as rotating as a safety boat driver and/or camp hand.
Supervisory Responsibilities: None
• Conduct safe and informative, high-quality tours, which meet and exceed guest expectations
• Meet and greet guests with a professional attitude and appearance;
• Service & maintain all equipment in the best possible condition, report damage and issues to supervisor;
• Share knowledge and relevant information in a fun and entertaining manner in front of groups as large as twenty people;
• Prepare all equipment and supplies for each day’s needs;
• Participate in all required training and educational clinics;
• Attend all safety training, meetings, and clinics. Maintain current knowledge of all safety procedures;
• Work collaboratively with fellow guides and all management;
• Outfit guests in weather appropriate gear and safety equipment;
• Campfire, beverage, and snack setup at camp;
• Oversee safety of kayak guests from the safety boat and help as needed;
• Provide instructions to guests of varying skill levels on the safe use of equipment;
• Answers and addresses any guest concerns or questions;
• Cleans and organizes all equipment, vehicles, and workspaces, and maintains inspection log;
• Always demonstrate outstanding guest service and professionalism;
• Build a comprehensive knowledge base about the flora and fauna of Southeast Alaska, the history of The Mill at Ward Cove and surrounding areas;
• Work a flexible schedule;
• Performs other duties as assigned.
• Safety Focus: Must be able to maintain a safe and comfortable environment for guests, employees, and the public;
• Customer-Service Focus: Must understand that customer service is a top priority and must conduct all actions with this in mind;
• Attention to Detail: Maintaining high company standards in the upkeep of gear and equipment, presentation of the tour product and customer focus;
• Problem-Solving Skills: Must be flexible and able to produce appropriate solutions quickly, working across the organization at times. Must be able to find creative solutions to unique problems and employ a logical and organized thought process;
• Presentation skills: Must be able to deliver a scripted/non-scripted, entertaining, informative, safety briefing and tour presentation on a 2–3-hour tour multiple times a day to guests with varying backgrounds and skillsets;
• Successful completion of on-the-job training required;
• Must be able to work collaboratively in a team setting.
Education and Experience:
• First aid & CPR certified; lifeguarding, water rescue, kayak instruction helpful, WFR a plus.
• 1 to 2 years of previous guiding experience in an outdoor environment preferred, but not required.
• Driver’s License Preferred.
• Able to work outdoors for long days in diverse weather conditions.
• Prolonged periods of standing and walking.
• Must be able to lift up to 75 pounds at times.
7559 N Tongass Hwy, Ketchikan, AK, 99901